Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I can now say I ran a half marathon.

On Sunday with a time of 2 hours and 35 minutes, I completed my first half marathon. All in all it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I was even sick! But here's a breakdown of the thoughts that were running through my head as I was running:
Miles 1-4: Why in the world did no one try to talk me out of this!?
Miles 5-6: I'm even sick and still no one tried to talk me out of this!?
Miles 7-9: Ok. I can do this. I'm over the halfway point. I can do this.
Miles 10-11: In two miles Kayla (my best friend) will be with me and it'll be so much better. (Her mom - who was in charge of the marathon snuck her in.
Miles 12-13: I can see the finish line but I feel like I'm never going to get there!

The support that I had at the end of my run was incredible. Waiting for me to cross the finish line was my dad, aunt and uncle. At the finish line was Kayla's mom. After the finish line handing out Gatorade was a close family friend. After the Gatorade handing out bananas was Kayla's grandma. It was almost overwhelming the amount of things that were thrust into your hands as soon as you just finished running 13 freaking miles. I wanted to yell, "Just give me a second! I can't even think or process anything yet!"

So now, at the age of 23, I get to cross something off of my bucket list, but I'd have to say that the best thing about the day overall was the face that I got to hear the words "I'm so proud of you!" over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment